Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A little perspective. Or a lot.

Now that the most overblown memorial service in the history of the world has taken place, could we please get a grip? Michael Jackson was a man (not a god, even though I realize there is a contingent of the world population that worships him) and--newsflash!--men die. I realize this will come as a shock to some, but everyone, even the rich and famous and powerful, and everything (even radioactive elements that hang around for thousands of years) dies.

I'll admit that I like much of Jackson's music. There, I said it! I'll agree that he had an amazing career and was an incredible performer. I'll even admit that he was one of the most popular performers the world has ever, and possibly will ever, see.

But come on. Is it seriously much of a shock that he died suddenly & quite young? Like many of my students, it was bound to happen: this unexpected death, likely from self-/over-medicating of some sort. That does not make it any less tragic, but perhaps it will give us some perspective.

Jackson's death is a tragedy, for his children and the rest of his family. I'm not sure, though--in fact, I'm positive--that it does not merit the insane amount of media attention and the "stopping of the Internet!" that has been lavished upon it. Can't remember the last time I saw this much over-hype about one human being. Oh WAIT, yes I can: it was just months ago, for the man who is now our president.

I, for one, never understood the obsession people had for Michael Jackson. I listened to his music when it came on the radio and "Thriller" is one of my ringtones, but even when he was in the media's all-seeing eye for whatever reason--tour, tour cancellations, poor health, accusations of pedophilia--the most emotion I ever felt for him was pity. He had a successful music career, a fortune (at one point, anyway), an enormous "ranch"...but mostly what I saw was a man who was not happy with his life or who he was. A man always trying to change who he was to be someone he was not. A man who clutched frantically at anyone and anything he thought would make him happy, only to reach for someone/something else, never finding the content he craved.

Could we please, PLEASE now stop with the headline news, the "Will Jackson memorial stop the world?", the gossip, and get on with our lives? Please. Get some perspective--people die every day. All deaths are tragic. There are other entertainers available to worship if you must needs worship. In a few years, Michael Jackson will be just another blip in social history and will barely merit a mention in future history books--and let the man rest in peace.

1 comment:

Sarah B said...

A-men Sista'! At least I was too busy these past 2 weeks to be as inundated by it as I might have otherwise been - and I was still annoyed!