Thursday, July 23, 2009

TEETH!

Lincoln cut his first tooth yesterday!!

He was gnawing on my knee (a first for him), so I sat him up and gave him my knuckle instead--and immediately thought, "OW! Why does this hurt? What sharp thing does he have in his mouth?" And then as immediately realized that it is a tooth breaking through!

It's so, so exciting that my baby is getting his teeth in! But it also makes me a little sad (wistful, rather?). No, of course I don't want to keep him a baby perpetually, but he will never again be my little toothless wonder. There's no going back to true wee baby--although I know he is still a baby--and next he'll be sitting up on his own (he makes it about 3 seconds before he topples over now), and then creeping more, then crawling, then walking...and my baby will be not a baby anymore!

I will enjoy him in every stage, as I have enjoyed him in every stage thus far: watching him change and discover and grow is the most amazing thing in the world. Guess it's just the thought that he's growing up that's made me all nostalgic--and now I'm laughing, because if nostalgia is hitting when he is only 6 months old and has one tooth barely poking through, what kind of a mess will I be for future life events? :)

No comments: